I tried on probably 20-30 pairs of gloves before I found a pair that had the padding I wanted and fit well. For me the main things I was looking at were:
- thumb hole size: many gloves have too large a thumb hole in many gloves - you want it comfortable but not tight as that will not work over a long ride
- seam between thumb and first finger wrapped up so that when you're in position on the hoods you're not resting on that seam.
- good stitching - many gloves are not stitched all that well.
- reasonable tight across the palm so that when your hand is curved on the bar/hoods the glove is not bunching up
- tab or some way for easy glove removal
- full back (can be mesh). I hate the tan lines from open-backed gloves
- for me, I was looking for padding for the base of the thumb rather than on the outside of the glove.
I finally settled on a pair of pearl izumi gloves. The palm does bunch up a bi more than I'd like but the padding for me was perfect.
Photos (sorry for the blur, I really suck at photography)
[attachment deleted by admin for disc space pruning]