About a month or so ago I had a fitting on the Guru Dynamic Fit Unit at Parvilla Cycles http://parvillacycles.com/
. I had not had a professional fit (unless you count what they do when they sell you a bike at Performance) for a very long time.
The process as I recall it is like this.....
Before getting on the DFU
- static measurements of my current bike were taken and entered into the DFU
- static measurements of me were taken (inseam, arms, torso, height, shoulders, etc.)
- flexibility was assessed (current bike set up and some stretches)
- review of any issues (numbness in hands or elsewhere , what gets sore first, asymmetry)
On the DFU
- Some on the bike before measurements (current fit) are taken to capture angles and KOPS numbers and cleat position
- Next is a warm up (still current fit) while the Computrainer measures your numbers and displays a "Spinscan" (this http://www.racermateinc.com/spinscan.asp)
- Once warmed up a brief power test is run (mine was to go up a simulated hill and hold a steady speed) and the Spinscan, power and HR results are recorded as a baseline.
- Then the fun starts... the fitter (Stu at Parvilla) starts moving the seat and bars in any direction. Much as with a static fit the direction is based on what the fitter knows and believes to be optimal... but there is a difference.
- Besides staring at the Computrainer screen you get to see yourself on video. I found this helpful to see how my position changed my posture on the bike (arms bent back flat sort of stuff).
- As the fit changes you continue pedaling and besides perhaps feeling better, the Computrainer will pick up improvements in your pedal stroke.
- Finally, after getting things to an optimal position another power test with the same parameters was run and the Spinscan, power and HR numbers recorded.
So what was mine.....
Apparently my it feels better to raise the seat a little bit so raise it a little more strategy over the last couple of years was flawed. Here are some of my before and DFU optimal measurements in mm.
|Seat Height (SH) Before 835 DFU 801|
|Saddle Set Back Before 80 DFU 95|
|Reach (R) Before 590 DFU 570|
|Seat to Handlebar Drop (STH) Before 110 DFU 109|
My spin scan before was 74 and after was 81. The power during the fitting was the same, but the PE was lower with the new fit. It was enlightening when Stu pushed a button that moved me quickly from the new fit back to the old... it felt odd and awful.
What made me want to write this review was the power I am seeing 30 days later from a 20 minute FTP test. ~22Watts more .... and my November/early December workouts have been mostly tempo / endurance and some wheel sucking team rides. I believe I am also seeing lower heart rate numbers for a given effort (I suppose that goes with more ftp). Generally I feel a lot better on the bike.
This thing works.